Tuesday 20 August 2013

We're Jamming! Rhubarb and Ginger to be precise........



  I wanna jam it with you,  were jamming, jamming, I hope you like jamming too!  Always  have this Bob Marley song in the back of my mind whilst I make jam.  Slightly  incongruous maybe! Anyway I loved this jam,  it turned out delicious and surprised  quite a few Rhubarb haters!!






You will need the following ingredients:

1kg Pink Rhubarb, trimmed weight.

1Kg Jam sugar (which has added pectin )  I just used ordinary sugar so my jam was quite loosely set which I seem to prefer.
Zest and juice of 1 Lemon (can add more lemon juice for added pectin).
50g Stem or Crystallised ginger,  finely chopped.
4cm piece ginger peeled.



I like to put all the ingredients into the fridge over night to macerate and let all the flavours infuse, it makes me feel like I am adding a secret ingredient and it feels very 'celebrity chef' but the recipe doesn't say to do that so it is possibly  an unnecessary flight of fancy. Before I start I put a small saucer (vintage of course!) in the freezer ready to test if the jam is setting. Next I bring all the ingredients to a boil and then for around 20 minutes or less keep it at a rolling simmer. Stirring it and after about 10 minutes I start checking for thickening and setting. Much better to have runny preserve like jam than tough toffee like jam. At least runny is yummy on ice cream! My mum used to put a knob of butter in her jam to disperse the scum that forms on the top and I do this too.  Again the recipe doesn't tell you to do this.  So up to you.  It worked for Mum and so I do it for sentimental reasons plus it seems to do the trick. I find testing for setting the tricky bit. A blob of boiling jam on the chilled saucer and if you can swipe your finger through the middle and the two halves don't run back together then its a go!  Please find the proper instructions here:-

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1091639/rhubarb-and-ginger-jam













Then I put the hot jam  into your sterilized jars.  I boil the jars in a large pan to sterilise.  I have a recently purchased a special jam funnel which helps to fill the jars with less catastrophic mess than I otherwise create!

Once the lid is on my trick is to cool the jam with the jars upside down.  When cool turn the jars the right way up and this should suck down the lid and form a perfect seal.  Keeping the jam nice and fresh for the longest time. Of course finally comes time to eat your delicious creation on lovely crusty buttery toast with a hot cuppa would be my personal recommendation!





No comments :

Post a Comment

Love to hear your ideas!